Sunday, August 12, 2007

Come to your census

Actually, the enumerators will come to you. In the fifteen years or more I've lived in Teachers Village West, I've never met any of the census enumerators. This is a very important matter for both the public and private sectors.

In the two times I could have been included in the censuses, the interviewers just left forms in the hole in the wall. Next time I meet them, I will even ask them to come inside the apartment because I myself have a number of questions to ask them as part of my own private surveys.

For example, the last time I looked at the NSCB figures, there were at most 5000 single male-headed households in Quezon City. Am I an outlier? Or within the norm of households headed by single males.

The enumerators in the latest survey can count on me to serve them coffee, at the very least. At most I will engage them in discussions on statistics and econometrics. At worse, I will serve them breakfast.

More than twenty years ago, my sister's shirt, suggesting population stats would be broken down by age and sex sounded funny. Because I'm already sixty seven, the slogan is no longer amusing.

No comments: