Saturday, September 08, 2007

Taxi strike: unfare?


Philippine taxi drivers are generally a friendly lot, though there are many horror stories associated with rogue drivers who reject fare, short-change passengers, collude with robbers, and eject customers midway through trips. (The last shows cab drivers know their economics and the value of time, because some would even give up the registered fare simply because going further would result in a loss---in other words, they think in terms of 'net incremental benefit.'

They are are also a bit talkative and need little provocation to lecture you on politics and philosophy, and many of them in their 60's would still even hark to the 'good old days' of Marcos and the period of discipline and (false) sense of national purpose. With a little provocation they'll even tell you whom they voted for in elections and subtly try to sway you to their position. I have always used their stories as a vane to give me a sense of the social weather. In one unforgettable ride not too long ago, a driver, having eavesdropped on my conversation on politics with a friend, butted in politely and eventually confessed he was an 'intelligence agent' of the armed forces. No, his cab driving was not a front but genuine moonlighting, though that was not really reassuring. And cell phones were not affordable then. In fact, at about the same time in 1995, I was amazed that my cabbie in HK handed me his handset to call a friend to ask for directions. And no, his name was not Vidal Doble.

Once, in my early 30's, I was mistaken by a cabbie as of his age. After I complained about the metallic rock on his radio, he gently reminded me that things were a lot different in 'our time.' I didn't protest that because I had much earlier accepted having been born old and grumpy. But then, in another ride, while I was waiting for change, this young driver insisted he recognized me as a lead member of a local rock band.

I don't know the status of renewed efforts to finally enforce the requirement in the tax code (circa post-Marcos 80's) that cabs should issue receipts to passengers as part of enhanced tax-revenue generation. I guess government has balked again. I agree with the measure but recognize government has to be fair to both cab companies and drivers but fairer to drivers and to passengers. Clearly there is a lot of room for improved regulation of behavior. The economic fact is that drivers merely respond to the so-called incentive structure of the system, like free 'profit-maximizing' agents who take all the demand risk, because they pay a fixed rent regardless of kilometers travelled or fare volume. Bus drivers, on the other hand, get a share of revenues. But in congested thoroughfares, the resulting behavior results in disastrous consequences for both passengers and air quality (I digress too much, as usual).

I travel fairly often and fairly wide and know that Philippine taxi rates are among the cheaper in the world, and have spent large sums because of my habitual laziness and addiction to door-to-door delivery. An absolute increase in fares resulting from regulation might do a lot of good all around, most of all by encouraging more mass transit patronage. With some caveats, mainly for people like myself, who, as a lazy patron, also use cab drivers to attend to other addictions. When I was a beer-drinker and smoker, and whether alone or with guests, but as lone occupant in a single male-headed household, I would call the nearest cab company to request delivery of beer and cigarets.

Do cabbies generally overcharge? I don't think so. Rates are much higher in areas where entry is either regulated or banned, especially airports. That is because the entry regulator is usually corrupt but justify the regulation as part of ensuring passenger safety. Hell, they could do that by simply charging a parking fee and enforcing a monitoring system.

Without much ado, local cab companies have been shifting to alternative fuels like liquefied petroleum gas (there is an LPG filling station just a few hundred meters from where I live) because it makes financial sense. It also results in less harmful emissions.

This brings me to the implications of this news article from the New York Times, New York Taxi Strike:

Fare increases in 2004 and 2005 — totaling some 25 percent — were contingent on taxi owners installing global positioning systems and credit-card machines. Drivers were desperate for the increase — the first in eight years — and accepted the terms. That was the deal they made, and they should stick to it. The city had an equal obligation to make sure the mandated technology is functional, up-to-date and serves both driver and passenger. So far, the results are not encouraging.
It is not surprising they are talking about GPS and credit card payments while we are arguing about receipts. After all, we are in the Philippines. But our level of economic development, I should say, does not really indicate our comparative level of civility.


No comments: