Monday, October 22, 2007

How a Filipino insurgent was tortured. Damn, I wish our confirmation process was like theirs

I've been following the confirmation hearings (on C-Span and the NYT) of Michael Mukasey, George W.'s nominee to replace the unlamented Alberto Gonzales, and wish that our processes were as rigorous.

Last night, Mukasey was grilled by senators (mostly Democrats, among them Stephen Whitehouse of Rhode Island)) about his views on executive privilege, non-disclosure agreements, and the public's right to information. His answers were diametrically opposed to those of his predecessor.

However, Mukasey failed to assuage fears in regard to the use of torture in extracting information from terrorism suspects. He hedged big time in regard to water-boarding, saying that if water-boarding is determined to be torture, then it would be unconstitutional. The senators could not extract any more information on his views on the matter, stopping short of physically and mentally torturing him on the matter any further.

What really caught my attention was the account recounted by one of the senators of how a US soldier was prosecuted for using water-boarding on a Filipino insurgent in 1901.

I wish I could get my hands on the transcripts of Raul Gonzales's confirmation hearings, though I understand that he has never been confirmed and that the Gloria just keeps re-appointing her sycophant on a temporary basis. What is the limit to the executive's power to reappoint? I don't know, but this clearly runs counter to what the Constitution intends.

I am tempted to make a bigotted remark about people with the surname Gonzales, but I know better because I have so many friends with that surname and I have no wish to inflict a tortured argument on you.

3 comments:

MBW said...

Why don't you make more than just a bigotted comment? Go for it - guy deserves it!

Left this message for you by the way...

What on earth were you doing this part of the world? I would much prefer the warmth and the sun annnnnd the white sand of those islands yonder! I would go and laze in the sun any time (if only I could be sure there wouldn't be any kidnappings or blasts on the way to those white beaches...)

Take care! Let me know when you come this way again. Will treat you to some cherry beer!

Ruben Carranza said...

For your exploration of its macroeconomic and fiscal implications: the lawyer of Joma is also the
lawyer of a Khmer Rouge-ista
detained by the Cambodian special court.

viking said...

Leon,

after plugging in the information you provided in the NEDA's macroeconomic econometric model, I can now report that the lawyer's activities will contribute to 0.00001% of inflation this year.