Tuesday, December 11, 2007

DAR's gift to the Sumilao farmers on Human Rights Day (2)

The Department of Agrarian Reform celebrated Human Rights Day by betraying the human rights of the very farmers whose existence is its very reason for being. As the farmers prepared to go up to the offices of the DAR secretary, they were barred from entering the compound by about eight security guards, on orders of the secretary himself. . Minutes later police from Camp Karingal arrived to keep the peace, very likely the peace of mind of San Miguel Foods’ Danding Cojuangco and Ramon Ang, whose well-paid lawyers pleaded ignorance about the laws of the land they have so obviously violated. Where were the born-again stars in national politics?

How do I know all these? Simple, I was with the farmers from two in the afternoon up to almost eight in the evening. And why did I feel obliged to lend my support in body and not just mind? Never mind, but you can read the previous entry in this blog. I will not go into the chronology on the issue. If you are concerned, there’s enough material on the web. Among those are the essays of Winnie Monsod, who discussed the latest findings of Arsenio Balisacan, my professor almost 20 years ago in agricultural economics; and Joaquin Bernas, as my atheism does not bar me from admiring Jesuit scholarship. Here, I would rather discuss what has not been reported in the mainstream media, including the Philippine Daily Inquirer and ABS-CBN.

Earlier in the afternoon, the farmers and their leaders inside their talipapa camp just outside the gates of the DAR discussed the position paper the DAR secretary had asked them to submit by the end of Monday. They felt they really didn’t have to anymore as their positions and petitions were already known not only to the guards of DAR but also to the lizard population on the ceiling of Nasser Pangandaman’s well-appointed office. (Much as I would like to sympathize with Pangandaman who has been busy counting the white hair in his nose and daydreaming about Christmas lechon, he makes me want to go vegetarian). But they did, like lowly farmers who obey the laws of the land. Or wanted to. The rule of law? Whose law and whose rules?

At around five, the guards suddenly padlocked and chained the gates. Then a receiving clerk appeared and said she was authorized to accept the position paper.

“Why don’t you relocate your office to the gates then?” the farmers asked. The clerk said those were her orders.

“Has San Miguel submitted its position paper?” lawyer Marlon Manuel asked the clerk. She didn’t know or would not say.

“Where is the secretary?” A few minutes later a young man who claimed he was from the secretariat explained to ‘Kaka,’ a coordinator for the farmers, “We don’t want any trouble.” “And neither do we,” Kaka said.

“Who gave the order to lock the gates?” I asked the guards. “We don’t know,” they replied.

After more than an hour, the farmers decided to cool off and celebrate mass with priests and nuns from Mindanao. At the risk of being excommunicated from my own congregation, I stayed. When I left before eight, it wasn’t clear whether the Sumilao farmers would be home for Christmas.

Notes:

· I was impressed by niece Charo Logarta who interviewed the leaders of the farmers in fluent Cebuano. Because I know my cousin (her dad) had left Cebu as a child, I assumed the daughter would know only English and Tagalog. I was wrong. Noel Cabangon came to sing a few songs in solidarity and I could not hold back tears. Someone let out air from the left rear tire of my car, but a farmer who also drives a jeepney in Bukidnon took care of it. There are Cebuano words which can’t be expressed in Tagalog or English: Pastilan! Intaon! Lechong baboy! Lecheng yawa! And that was exactly how I felt).

· It may very well be that the San Miguel plan would be better for the economy overall, but this a question of social justice and law and not of gross domestic product. It’s not jiust the economy stupid! It’s human rights and justice. If our national life were to be dominated by just economic efficiency, we would reopen the debate about democracy,dictatorship and development. Nyet! But more on this in the next post.

6 comments:

MBW said...

Thanks for the lowdown, Viking.

MBW said...

I see you've also trimmed the masthead. Very nice. That's you, the young man in shortened trousers in the center I presume...

viking said...

That's me 20 years ago.

mschumey07 said...

So you've finally fixed your blog. Thanks for the updates. I also took the liberty to post a link of your entry in my blog. I have been giving daily updates and schedules in behalf of the farmers. Thanks for giving them a voice.

MBW said...

Ramon Ang is one of the most mayabang corp exec I've ever met -- the guy was so mayabang, I almost puked at the end of the meeting.

A friend was brokering the sale of an exec jet that my company manufactured ...

A few minutes after I met Ang (T'was in his office) and after asking him a few question, I knew the guy was just a windbag, that he wouldn't be able to afford our prices but he went on and on and on showing off -- never seen so much yabang in one small person.

Told our local broker (who was my friend) -- "Don't think he will buy... He will buy a US third hand or even a 4th hand if ever."

Anonymous said...

Hi Tito! Malipayong Pasko from Cagayan De Oro. I really try to speak in Cebuano/Bisaya, bahala na kahit may twang or what, because it really, really helps, since I spend a lot of time in Northern Mindanao. I'm glad my efforts are paying off somehow.

Anyways, on hindsight, I came across information about a very drastic rice shortage. As you know, the Philippines imports a lot of this staple, and now the question is, will we be able to afford imported rice, with the law of supply and demand at play?

Hence, FOOD SECURITY is more important now. I have nothing against agrarian reform, especially when done properly. It's a beautiful concept executed in a pretty ugly way. For example, Hacienda Looc in Batangas, now known as Hamilo Coast of the SM Group. It may be a bad example, but I use it since a relative of ours, Alice, has a stake in this. While I'm all for leisure and all that, it doesn't make sense to use perfectly good agriculture lands for this. This is CARP gone bad. The farmers sold the land. Why? Because it made economic sense for them. Why? Because SM made it their while to sell rather than to plant. Not that I blame the farmers, but that is the kind of priority we all put on something as basic and crucial as food security.

Think about it, if anything happens, and we fail to get rice, and we don't produce enough of it because we've been converting agri lands on top of not being as productive in crop output, well...I don't think I want to go there on Christmas Day.