Monday, December 10, 2007

The rights of the Sumilao farmers (1)

Among the strange coincidences in my long life are that in some way I had been associated with the anti-heroes in the struggle of the Sumilao farmers for land:

  1. After graduation (chemical engineering) in 1980, I was appointed executive assistant to the president of the Norkis Group of Companies, a certain Norberto Quisumbing Jr.
  2. About a year later, a certain Ruben Torres interviewed me for a job in the Ministry of Energy.
  3. In 1993, I was asked to comment on proposals in the Senate to make agrarian reformed lands fungible by a senator considered close to Fidel Ramos.
Last Friday I paid the farmers camped in front of the Department of Agrarian Reform a brief visit. I hope to be able to converse with them again today. They have my undying support.

7 comments:

MBW said...

Congratulations -- I see your blog is up once again.

Btw, that's a colossal chess board and set you've got there difficult to see the posts.

MBW said...

I am this very minute playing chess on yahoo coyote gulch room table 63 - high speed chess.

(nickname: addbrux)

viking said...

I still want the FTP back but Google still has to resolve major issues.

Anonymous said...

Hi Viks. I have been reading your blogs quite lately. Such an improvement in your website as well. Don't expect any comments from me though. I am just but a clandestine enthusiast about what you write.:)

Nick said...

Viking - come down to Malaybaly. I think we need to go take a look at this 144 hectares in Sumilao.

viking said...

Nick,

Haven't had much access to net. No more bookings for CDO which allow me to get back before New Year's so my tentative schedule is Jan. 2 to Jan. 7. Last message I got from Marlon Manuel was on Dec. 21: "farmers will go home wkend. Preparing 4 next stage of struggle."

viking said...

Nick,

Haven't had much access to net. No more bookings for CDO which allow me to get back before New Year's so my tentative schedule is Jan. 2 to Jan. 7. Last message I got from Marlon Manuel was on Dec. 21: "farmers will go home wkend. Preparing 4 next stage of struggle."